Gratitude isn’t a common habit, but without gratitude, life is more challenging than it needs to be. Feeling grateful resets your perspective, and this is a gift you can give yourself everyday. If you find yourself feeling pessimistic or overwhelmed, a little gratitude can get your attitude back on the right track.
Sometimes, simply saying "thank you" can serve as the tiniest prayer to say every morning when you wake up. 🥰 🙏
Here is a list of a dozen ways we can incorporate a little gratitude into our day.
1. Write it down. Make a daily habit of writing down a few things that you can be grateful about. Ideally, you’ll do this early and/or late in the day. It can get your day off on the right foot and sets you up for a good night of sleep.
2. Be grateful for the little things. There are plenty of small things you can be grateful for each day. A great cup of coffee, the sound of birds in the morning, or the fact that you have a new set of tires on your car. All good thoughts can uplift your mood.
3. Go for a walk. This is a great way to get out of your head. Go for a walk and look for things that you can be grateful for. A beautiful tree, the sound of children playing, a friendly dog, or a cool breeze are all things you could choose to feel grateful about.
4. Avoid making comparisons. When you compare one thing to another, you demean it. Be grateful for something exactly as it is. This applies to people too.
5. Tell people you’re thankful. Show people that you’re grateful for them. Whether it’s your neighbor for keeping his yard so nice or the cashier at the store. Be thankful and let them know it. This will make their day better as well as yours.
6. Enjoy your pet. Pets give us plenty of reasons to feel gratitude. Give your pet some extra attention. You’ll both feel great.
7. Donate your time or money. Give your resources to something (or someone) that you think is valuable to the world. It could be a charity, business, person, or group. Time and money can have a great impact.
8. Make a list of things that impress you about yourself. Be thankful for you, too. What are you impressed by when you take a long, hard look at yourself? Be honest. This will do wonders for your self-esteem, and you'll start noticing more things you love about yourself.
9. Write a positive review for a business you appreciate. Business owners love positive reviews. It makes them feel good and can boost their business. Be supportive and express your gratitude.
10. Meditate on the things that you’re grateful for. Put your focus and attention on those things you’re most grateful for. You might develop an even greater appreciation for them.
11. Minimize judging and complaining. Judging and complaining are the opposite of gratitude. People that do this aren’t enjoyable to be around, either. Keep your negative thoughts and opinions to yourself. Avoid judging others and you’ll find that you’re happier and less stressed.
12. Be thankful at meal times. Since you eat at least one meal each day, this a great way to develop a habit of expressing gratitude. Be grateful for your food and the people sharing it with you.
Be grateful for everything you have. Even if you’re struggling. That doesn’t mean you have to be satisfied with your current situation, but you can still be grateful for what you do have. When you practice gratitude daily, your opportunities for success will increase. And you’ll receive even more good things to be grateful for!